Selected in the top 100 Economics Sites

Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Welcome home Leona Helmsley.



When I was in graduate school, I lived about one mile away from the federal prison in Lexington, KY. Leona Helmsley was was one of the most famous inmates there after she was convicted of tax evasion. She stated "taxes are for little people" and the judge did not like her tone of voice. He threw her in the cross bar hotel and her sentence started on April 15th. At that time my favorite liquor store (in reality, they're all my favorite) put up a sign that simply read "Welcome Home Leona Helmsley" and made a big joke out of it. I talked to the owner of the store and he said "how big and important do you think she feels today?"

I relate this story in connection with the attached article sent by the capable Dr. Rothman. I title it "Welcome home intended consequences".


http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723604575379650414337676.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews

No comments: