Selected in the top 100 Economics Sites

Follow me on Twitter

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Weeping tears of sadness. R.I.P. Victor Zarnowitz


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/business/economy/26zarnowitz.html?_r=1

The world has lost a great economist and one of its most wonderful human inhabitants. It is with deep regret that I must report Victor Zarnowitz has died. He was one of the kindest men I have ever known and he did many wonderful things for me over the years. He is in my first book and wrote the Foreword for my second book. He always took my calls when I wanted to discuss the business cycle with him. His whole family was destroyed by the Nazis in World War II. He grew up in Auschwitz as a child. He fled when the war broke out but stayed in a Russian labor camp for 19 months. He uplifted me spiritually whenever I remembered what he lived through and triumphed over. Victor Zarnowitz made this world a much better place. I gave him the nick name "Mr. Business Cycle." He will be deeply missed.

Here is my interview with him from 1997. This interview still moves me.
www.funnyeconomist.com/zarnowitz.pdf

No comments: